It’s the season for travel, and it’s also the season for fruit flies and ripe produce. Most of the time when we are prepping for travel, our attention is solely on the packing, but there are a few cleaning tips that taken care of prior to travel will make your return a much more pleasant experience. The smallest bit of food, produce, trash or moisture left for a long period in a warm environment will lead to a less than welcoming homecoming. Make sure to prepare your home for your vacation as well as your suitcases.
- Empty sink of all dirty dishes (and run disposal)
- Remove produce from counters (discard, give away, chop and freeze)
- Empty trash cans (kitchen trash, bathroom trash, diaper pails, etc)
- Flush toilets
- Run dishwasher so no dishes are left unclean
- Make sure there is no trash or places of sitting moisture (water in glasses, food wrappers under beds, wet laundry, etc
- Wash and dry all dirty laundry
- Empty fridge of food that will perish while you’re away
- Pour a little vinegar down your sink and rinse
- Turn the AC up (but not off)
YOU’LL BE GLAD YOU DID
- Put clean sheets on bed and make them
- Wipe down counter tops and surfaces
- Straighten up living spaces and bedrooms
The last thing you want to come home to after a trip is work. A few things to work on the night before and morning of departure will ensure a better homecoming. And of course, if you are lacking time or energy to do these things, then make it a point to schedule a cleaning while you’re away! You would not regret scheduling a professional cleaning for the week of your vacation.
Fun travels and happy cleaning!